String Alignment

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:55:28 -0600

>...Does anyone
>have an opinion the challenge of equalizing string pressure while tuning
>such strings, strings breakage, etc.?...
>Thanks again. Elliot Wilcox, RPT, St. Paul, MN

Elliot, List,

I don't really have an opinion, but I can assure you that depending on the
deviation and misalignment, it can be trying at times to leave the affected
notes in tune.

Ron N covered it quite nicely.

In one institution alone I have 24 pianos of the same brand that have some
tuning pins extremely close and music wires areas snuggled against one
another and overlapped, that I marked them to remind me each tuning session
that when I attempt to adjust one, be on guard for another to go out of
tune.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician