Symphony Piano Sale

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:38:01 EST

Terry, et all:

Although the "symphony" or "university" sale might sound like a "rip off," I
think we, as pianos technicians, are complaining about something for which we
should actually be grateful.

I have experience under two different scenarios for these special sales.
First was my store closing. When I made the decision to close my store a
little over a year ago, the local Steinway/Baldwin dealer agreed to run a
"going out of business" sale for me. In exchange for using my store, and
running the sale, I got a portion of the profits. A very well publicized sale
resulted in the dealer selling 80 pianos in a just two weekends. (20 of mine,
and 70 of his). Both of us made money. I was happy to get out of my store,
and the dealer was happy because he sold so many pianos. And in addition to
that, I got 10 new tuning customers.

The university for which I now work has the use of 12 new pianos, which get
rotated out every 6 months. The school gets to use these pianos for free. In
exchange, the dealer runs a university sale. The dealer needs to make money,
and having a university sale is how he can afford to give us the use of the
pianos.

Symphony orchestras have the same kind of arrangements, usually in
conjunction with Steinway in NY. As cash strapped some of the symphonies are,
this is a win win situation for both the dealer and the symphony.

The bottom line on these kinds of sales is this. As much as we might not like
the sales tactics, what the sales do is put pianos in customer's homes. The
sales tactics used at these sales isn't any worse, or better, than the
tactics used by some salesman at some pianos stores, every day. In many
instances, people who might not otherwise have bought a piano, bought one
because they thought they got a "good deal." So what if the "good deal" was
paying as much, or just a little less, than what they could have bought the
piano at the store. The main thing is, they bought a piano, instead of an
entertainment center, or a new car.

But once the pianos have been sold, they need to be tuned.  And that is where
we benefit. The dealer gives the new customer a card with several piano
tuner's names on it, with a coupon for a $50 tuning. Hey, it's a new
customer, and we didn't have to advertise for it.  Isn't that what we want,
more new customers?

So "quityourbitchin." If you don't want to tune these pianos, give the
customer to someone else. Other wise, just shut up and do what your paid to
do.

End of my soap.

Wim