False Beats

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:04:27 -0700

Terry,

Do I assume correctly that if the bridge pins are loose, that you would
simply loosen the strings enough to get them off the bridge pins, do the
dirty work, and then replace the string once the epoxy is set?

If the beat does not go away with pressure on the bridge pins, then what?

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: False Beats

> Isolate several strings that offend. Play them, listening to false beats.
Place solid object (tip of pliers, brass rod, anything with mass and is
solid) atop bridge pin of that string. Push directly down (try several
pressure amounts - too little and pin is not held steady, too much and you
kill that lively plywood soundboard). Play note. Dollars to donuts all or
most of false beat will go away. If so, repair with one of several methods.

> Quick and dirty: apply thin CA to bridge pins as is.
>
> Pretty darn good: remove strings, pull pins, epoxy in holes, insert pins.
>
> Best: recap bridge.
>
> Ultimate:................. No, no, I'll get too much flack for that!
>
> If false beat does not go away - it's something else! (I find that a good
90% of false beats are related to loose bridge pins.)

> Terry Farrell

the upper tenor and treble sections.  Tried dressing them to the bridge and
did not noticeably help.  Looked over key points and everything seems to be
in order (bridge pinning and notching look good, agraffes seem to be
applying adequate downpressure).  Is there anything I may have overlooked
before I suggest replacing some of the offenders?