Retrofit "soft-close" fallboard on U1?

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:12:31 -0600

It's for my brother's small children.  I'd like to protect their =
fingers.  It seems like a fairly common feature on new pianos; is it =
unusual to add them to older ones?

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Don=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 28, 2002 12:56 PM
  Subject: Re: Retrofit "soft-close" fallboard on U1?

  Hi Cy,

  It would seem silly to me to have a "soft close" mechanism. I don't =
like
  them on the new Yamaha's either. they make it a misery to get the fall
  board on and off--and it is *very* easy to scratch the highly polished
  black ebony finishes.=20

  At 11:37 AM 2/28/02 -0600, you wrote:
  >I have a 20-year-old Yamaha U1.  Is it possible to retrofit a =
soft-close
  fallboard mechanism?  I've asked Yamaha, and they say their current =
parts
  would require extensive modifications.  I found one kit at Schaff, I =
think,
  but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this.  Which kits work?  =
How
  hard is it to install?

  >Thanks...
  >
  >--Cy Shuster--