Replacing Spinet Strings - the Coil

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 02:27:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Replacing Spinet Strings - the Coil

> Friends,
>
> Unless I overlooked something, most/all of the discussion has been
> concentrated on how to get a new string to the bottom of a spinet piano.
> Anyone have any special tips about getting the coil on the tuning pin,
> especially when the tuning pin is only about 1/8" from the pressure bar?
I've
> always gotten it done, but sometimes not without ruining my mood for the
rest
> of the day.
>
> Regards,
> Clyde

    Since I've invariably got the needle nose pliers in my hand, I poke them
into the pre-wound coil and use the pliers to lift the coil onto the tuning
pin. A screwdriver or stringing hook would work as well.  If the tuning
pin's really close to the pressure bar, sometimes I put the coils on the
pins first, without sticking the becket into the hole yet (the string has
already been threaded under the pressure bar and pulled down most of the
way).   Then I use the stringing hook to pull the loop down over the hitch
pin and fasten with hemostats or vise-grips temporarily.  Then go back up
and insert the string in the tuning pin hole and finish up.
    Some operations are just "brute force" and don't have any "easy way".
David Nereson, RPT, Denver