Bechstein Date

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:07:16 +0100

Hello Terry,

I once had a Bechstein model A1.  It's case number was 53.822 and had a
Langer action.  I believe it was from 1921 or so.
I had many other model A pianos, with case numbers above the 30.000 (never
less; also I have never seen a model A with the fishtail (case with three
chines)), all with Schwander pilot action (never seen a model A with rocker
action).
I now have one with the case number #36.063 and the serial number still
readable #93.849, which leads to the year 1910, with Schwander pilot
action).
You could compare with your case number.  I noticed, when possible, that the
serial number is always a bit more than the case number.

Anyway, I plan to dig the dendrochronological way of dating pianos having
lost their serial number (as carbon14 is a little expensive).

Best regards,

Stéphane Collin.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 3:02 AM
Subject: Re: Bechstein Date

> Do you have any good guesses at the age of my Bechstein? Langer action.
About 180 cm. Model A1. Half the tail is rounded, but has a chine at the
back end of the straight side, and another chine at the end of the high
treble bridge. Modern capstans. Thanks for any thoughts.

> Terry Farrell

serial number is 43.957.  So I am quite sure it is from 1898, and that yours
is from about 1900 or so.  Does it have a fishtail ?  Else it would be a
model C isntead (220 cm long).

> Best regards,
>
> Stéphane Collin.

that the serial number has been removed from the plate by overly vigorous
cleaning.  I can find no other number except an embossed number on one of
the cross braces under the piano.  This number reads 16226.  I don't believe
this is the serial number as that would put the piano back to 1885.  The
owner seems to think it is c 1910-1915.  Anybody know what that number
refers to and can I trace the date through it?