Hammers with no inner felt.

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:17:06 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 25, 2002 12:54 PM
  Subject: Re: Hammers with no inner felt.

  In a message dated 7/25/2002 10:44:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

             Del wrote

    With modern hammer making techniques--very moist felt, lots of steam =
and
    heat--cracking is less of a problem and thicker felt can more easily =
be
    used. Considerable resilience is lost in the process but this no =
longer
    seems to be a desirable characteristic for piano hammers.

    Regards,

    Anyone

                O.K. I'll bite Del. It's a mostly, largely  undesireable =
charachteristic and detrimental to the kind of piano tone I want to be =
able to develop. I'm guessin  you too. But hey were( I'm) in the =
minority.  I won't go on with more of the same opinion I've expressed =
before.
I was being a bit sarcastic, Dale. Of course I want my hammers to be =
resilient. And light enough so I don't need a bunch of extra springs and =
a half-inch of key dip to get the bloody things up to hit the strings =
without developing CTS. I've been saying for years that these rock-hard =
atrocities we're so often getting these days are no longer piano hammers =
and need to be put back in a box and returned to their makers. If they =
come already attached to a piano...well, the box may need to be some =
larger but they should still go back.

Del