Aural versus ETD tuning training

Nichols nicho@cybermesa.com
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:09:45 -0700

At 06:43 AM 12/26/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>       For starters, "perfect" isn't available.

G'mornin', Ed. Happy "day-after", etc.
    I think, as part of the so-called "debate" of comparison, that the
above statement is a BIG overlooked part of the big picture. At least...
the big(ger) picture that a student tuner should be investigating.

>but the paying customer is actually where reality sits.

Again, the big picture is about satisfying the customer, no? An old sales
phrase goes "If the customer gets what they want at a price that's
acceptable, it's a good sale." Seems simplistic, but.... try this:
Technician achieves "Near-perfect" tuning, using a combo of ears and
machines. Only charges regular average fee for the area, but this
"near-perfect" tuning takes the tech a day and a half. (and of course...
only lasts about... well... "perfection" would disappear after it was
played) Is that right? Fair? A "good" tuning? Wouldn't work in a concert
venue, normally, would it? The "image" of a good tuning, for the customer,
includes all kinds of factors. Promptness, professionalism, care(empathy)
for the customers' needs, etc. A "good" tuning fits the image owned by the
customer.

>   You
>can dig a very fine grave with a shovel, but a back-hoe can be a beautiful
>thing.
>

>Ed Foote RPT

Strength verses accuracy? Not really. I don't think that the original
question makes it all the way to that level of debate. A beginning tuner is
going to be slow with any means. It's hammer technique and checks that take
time. And... time is a big part of the big picture, is it not?

Anyway, after twenty-some-odd years of aural, and all varieties of ETD
under the belt, I'd have to say that ETD training does help shorten the
learning time. Aural checks are absolutely mandatory, and will take time to
learn, anyway. So.. start on an ETD and learn aural skills as soon as
possible. IMHO

Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM

               "Not everything that counts can be counted,
                and not everything that can be counted counts."
                                                           Albert Einstein