Pain, real Pain (was Hearing the difference)

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:47:32 EST

In a message dated 12/22/02 8:31:49 AM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:

> Dave writes:
> > When I listened to the 2nd movement of the Pathetique on Ed's
> >Temperament CD it was so obvious I couldn't continue listening.  As
> > an ET lover personally, I've not listened to the entire movement.
> > That's because my ear/brain have been forever altered by 63 years of
> > listening to ET.
>
>     AAAYYEEEE!  I knew it when we did it, and I did it myself at first!
> "I
> feel your pain"...
> We debated the use of the Kirnberger for that piece, even listened to a
> couple of other tunings that had less tempering in those most remote keys.
>
> However, the choice was made on a combination of Enid Katahn's musical
> judgement and my desire to place a full comma harmony out there where we
> could see what the world thought of it.  I have gotten two kinds of widely
> disparate, but strongly held lines of feedback from it, we could perhaps
> profit from at least considering the differences.
>     In Op 13 (Pathetique),  the 2nd mvt(marked "adagio cantabile) is in Ab.
>
> In the particular tuning we used on it, this key has a full 21.5 cent third
>
> as its tonic.  This seems to represent the limit that any of the
> temperament
> authors allowed in their  WT's.  (the MT's in various degrees contain wider
>
> thirds than this, ranging from high 20's to the mid 30 cent range, 1/4
> comma,
> of course suffering from the diesis, or 41 cents).
>       When we first listened to it, the tempering just killed me.  The hair
>
> stood up on the back of my neck.   I thought it was going to be pretty
> rough
> on anybody's ears.  The last few years among the technicians has sorta
> proven
> that out, though there are many techs that have told me they really liked
> the
> feel of it.  However, there are more than techs listening to this, and that
>
> is where an altogether different response came from.
>      When I voiced reservations about so "expressive" a third, Enid
> countered
> by saying, "It's the Pathetique!  It is SUPPOSED to create a very uneasy
> and
> gripping feeling in this section, this is torment, pathos"!  The idea is,
> of
> course, that you won't be left out there in horrible-land, and when you
> return to the home key, you will feel an emotional charge that you could
> not
> have gotten without the detour.  Basically, your "tight shoe" theory of
> musical harmony and feeling.  Cool, I thought, why question the informed
> artist on taste?
>     From the musicians and other listeners, there hasn't been a track on
> that
> CD that has caused anywhere near as much positive comment as the 2nd mvt of
>
> Op. 13 !  The non-technician musicians and listeners seem to find that
> [...]

My, my, my, how the boomerang does seem to return.  This is what was said
about my use of the 1/7 Comma Meantone (a different but quantitatively milder
temperament) for a Beethoven Sonata:

[I said],

"Yes, the temperament used on that occasion was the boldest and strongest [I
have used in public] yet,  the 1/7 Comma Meantone."

[The *unquestionably* knowledgeable response was],

"I fail to see the reasoning that would couple so strong temperament with
such a refined piece of modulatory art as the Waldstein."  [It was actually
the Appassionata but all those Beethoven sonatas sound the same anyway, so
who cares?]

[I said],

"It had many people very interested.  So much so, that people were gathering
all around the piano, testing and listening to intervals and asking questions
afterwards.  The great majority of the audience was very impressed."

[There was, in fact a standing ovation and I did get many, many enthusiastic
and positive comments afterwards, most notably from the late John Travis but
the response to *believe* was],

"I must indignantly disagree.  People will gather around a car wreck or a
house fire, please don't think that is an automatic blessing.  I heard that
recital, and it was the worst sounding Waldstein [sic] that I have memory of
hearing. It was not helped that it was an amateurish performance by the young
lady, I think she was in way over her head.     I had been listening to
Ludwig's stuff [sic] on a great many tunings, and noticed in the Baldwin
performance a lack of the refinement I have come to expect from him."

[These paragraphs he wrote are so long, I just had to break them up].

"Even having this obtuse obsession [hmmm, time for the couch?] for tonality
as I do,  I thought there were numerous places where there was way too much
"salt".  (Beginning in measure 35!)   [He *counted* the measures of what he
thought was the Waldstein Sonata until he heard something bad?  Time for the
prescription pad!]" ...

 "The huge clashes of dissonance felt like they were in the wrong places.
This tuning may have worked on a fortepiano in front of a gallery of
experienced early 19th century ears,  [I thought Beethoven lived in the 18th
Century and so, generally did fortepianos come from that era but, what
difference does a century here or there make?]  but I thought it was the
wrong tuning for that instrument, composition, and audience."

[Then, I said],

"Yet, as you might expect, what might please, interest and titillate most
listeners sounded objectionable to a few, a very few."

[And the response was],

"Half the people that I heard talk about that performance didn't notice
anything different, and the other half thought it sounded out of tune.  I
didn't think it was well received.  That is not a scientific poll, just what
I remember getting in the way of feedback."

[And yes, this was the time and incident when a small but very angry and
vocal group of highly influential PTG Members (I won't name any names, they
wouldn't like it at all if I did) approached Kent Webb and told him what they
really thought about that downright terrible sound they had heard.  Kent Webb
was visibly upset and shaken by their remarks.  He told me that although he
personally liked what I had done, he had to go in favor of the lowest common
denominator and present only ET for the foreseeable future].

[I said],

  "The fact is that there will be no Historical Temperament performance at
the Convention this year because there are a few people within the
organization..."

[My response being cut off was replied to in this manner],

 "Puhleeeeze!  There will be performances on a non-ET tuning, Thursday and
Sunday.  All you have to do is put up with me talking in between them.   (No,
I am not going to identify the temperament, that will be done in class, by
attendees.......) If some factory rep hears it, and likes the sound, (many of
those people have good ears and refined musical tastes too!), it may find its
way onstage, you never know."

[I stated my plea],

"List, it is time to get real about this stuff.  [and was snipped] <snip> It
is not a place for people to assert their desire for power and control over
others."

[And the retort was],

"To get real?  I say way too much color was used in a very scrutinized venue,
and people squawked.  For the tuner to respond by blaming political
machinations is to sidestep responsibility for the amount of tempering done.
This is a no-no in my book.  If there is a negative reaction to one's
tempering, then accept that as evidence of having missed the mark, and
resolve to hit closer to home next time.  That will allow the door to remain
open, rather than losing options for all the wrong reasons.  The acceptance
of something new is the result of carefully matching the power (temperament)
to the impedance (audience).  Doing this is a learned skill, and with my
classes in K.C. I hope to be of some assistance to those that would like to
add it to their expertise.  Clouding the issue with perceived personal
vendettas and paranoia is counterproductive to progress and unpleasant as all
hell to read in my email."

[Then, the author of these remarks does pretty much what I have done all
along but in a most decidedly *Uncle Tom* style],

 "( If it is of any interest,  Bob Seger just finished a week-long recording
project here,  on a Victorian tuning after hearing both it and ET
side-by-side.  I could have had a stronger tuning there, but the risk of it
being rejected was too high, (IMHO) so I took the win with lower odds. I
really think that temperament progress in the current music world is made one
small step at a time, not by big jarring changes.)"

Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.  You can please most of the people
most of the time but there will always be that one small fraction which is
never satisfied, no matter what.

I take it all with a grain of salt and just keep on doing what I know how to
do, the best way I can.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin