Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 21:46:59 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2002 4:42:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj: Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing
>  Date: 12/19/2002 4:42:57 PM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>
>        Terry

           Well, it certainly is way easier to do the bridge notching /
pinning, etc., out of the piano.
  So I do the dry fit set up this way. In my climate I like the board to have
taken up some moisture but something like it would experience with the R. H.
about 40% or EMC about as you said 9% or so. I locate and temporarily install
my bridge to the board with soundboard buttons and screws, one between each
rib and one through only the ribs in the low tenor that have the feet thing
and cutout between them. Usually that's only 2 or three. I Install the board
dry by drilling holes for dry wall screws thru the board and into the rim
where the acoustic dowels were located. No magic here. These holes will
eventually disappear when the holes for acoustic dowels are drilled or fill
them with hammer shank if a different support system is used.
10 screws in the pinblock, usually next to each strut. I set the plate so its
elevation at the last bass end bolt hole is where it was originally which
means the plate boss is fairly close to the board. I have a shim between the
boss and the board. I put a clamp and block holding down the plate to prevent
it from coming up in the bearing procedure.
    I then turn up my nosebolts which were installed low. This includes the
bass strut nose bolt and cap nut too. I pre-stress the board with a shim at
each plate strut to simulate some string load as I've described before. I Cut
my bearing notches to determine where the bridge height will be. Pull the
plate & board plane the top of the bridge reinstall check and make final
corrections to height and bridge slope. Pull it out remove the bridge, drill,
notch & pin and the other details.
    After the board is glued in I always recheck my bearing and adjust my
plate a bit if needed. This is a great method but you'll find your board ever
much stiffer when you go thru the pre-stress bearing check at this point
because the bridge and board have been glued on and everything has gotten
stiffer. Which means your bearing may be more than you bargain for. With this
method I've learned to set the distance bearing on the stingy side especially
from about note 60 ish on down. With Steinways it's possible to shim aliquots
up if too much bearing is attained. Flexing the plate up with the nosebolts
is good for about 1/4 turn max. in my book with Steinways and none in Masons
as the plates are too stiff to flex.
       Hope that helps
        Dale Erwin