Brahms

David@bouncer.force9.net David@bouncer.force9.net
20 Dec 2002 12:07:51 -0000

Hi folks,

Mention of Brahms and temperament reminded me of a story told to me recently by one of my customers. (A notable local musical figure and as it happens, my former chemistry teacher. Now retired)

As a young man, he and a friend had a recital at the Edinburgh Festival (huge arts festival).  They were playing duets: Brahms' Liebeslieder Waltzes.  The Music Critic for The Scotsman (one of the main newspapers) must have been in a bad mood, and gave them a horrible review.  He said he didn't know why they had bothered, it was awful, and the style was all wrong for Brahms.

My customer and his pal were disheartened.  A little while later, he received a letter from a lady - evidently very elderly, from the beautiful but spidery writing - who had been at the recital.

She said she just wanted to let them know hom much she had enjoyed the playing, and that she completely disgareed with the newspaper critic.
She said "There was nothing at all wrong with your Brahms style, it was fine"  "And", she said "I KNOW; because my Father played it with Brahms!".

Nice!

Best regards,

David.