soundboard finish

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:52:50 -0800

Dale, do you spray the shellac and do you use shellac retarder?

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 6:18 AM
  Subject: Re: soundboard finish

  In a message dated 12/18/2002 7:25:56 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj: Re: soundboard finish=20
    Date: 12/18/2002 7:25:56 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From: Wimblees@aol.com
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

                  Marcel
    .    I'm sure every body has there own protocol. I always finish the =
bottom first . I'll add a note to Terrys post and that is you can't =
scribe along the belly rail so before you glue the ribs on place them in =
the notches and scribe a pencil line on the rib next to the glue =
surface. Later after the ribs are glued on you are then able to connect =
the dots from rib to rib with a pencil linewhich designates the area you =
don't wish to finish. It's fun just like tracing your hand in =
kindergarten.
       I do however tape off the bridge glue joints and trim joints , =
sand the board and spray on a coat of shellac. WHY? It's easier to keep =
raw spruce from being contaminated with glue when the bridges go on. Raw =
spruce will absorb glue readily and show up after the finish goes on as =
a discoloration along the bridge even though you thought for sur you got =
it all off. Quite annoying to me. I use this same protocol on the bottom =
of the board as well before the ribs go on. It's one extra taping but =
that less the usual nashing og teeth is worth it.

                 I often do most of the finishing before the board gets =
glued in. Usually=20
    all the sanding sealer goes on and then final coats and rub out =
after installation. Currently I,m experimenting with just built up coats =
of shellac. It's hardness has in my opinion excellent acoustic =
properties. Beautiful luster as well.

                   Regards--Dale Erwin

      Hello, I'm just about ready to finish the underside of my new
      soundboard. Should I avoid finishing the surround area (where it's
      going to get glued to the rim)? Is it better to finish both sides =
at
      the almost same time ? Is it safe to finish the top side "before
      gluing the bridges" or should I finish the underside, then glue =
the
      bridges, then the board to the rim and then only finish the top ??

      Many questions but I prefer to ask before than after.

      Thanks

      Marcel

    I've never done a new board before, but it would seem to me that you =
would want to glue bridges and ribs to raw wood, instead of finished =
wood, for a more solid adhesion.=20

    Just my thoughts on the matter.

    Wim