Soundboardcrownpress

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:21:22 EST

In a message dated 12/17/2002 10:11:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj: Re: Soundboardcrownpress
>  Date: 12/17/2002 10:11:24 AM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>
>             Terry and all

                      Dave cuts the crown into his ribs (as do many) so that
where feasible the thickest part of the rib is under the bridge or near it.
This has exceptions ,one of which is in the top treble on the last three or
four ribs. If you followed that design to its conclusion in the top ribs the
resu;t would be a fat stick on one end as the bridge is within inches of the
belly rail at that point. The other is that in the bass end it's also fudged
as an average between the tenor and bass. I know this is a common design and
I've heard some that sound really fine but can't verify and superiority.
I've tried it both ways  myself and I'm not personally convinced this is
necessary nor attributable to any enhanced tonal performance. A salways its
never one thing.
      As to the pneumatic press being the key , the apex  (deepest part  ) of
the appropriate curved rib caul is also positioned under the bridge line
location where the rib is thickest.
    I think most techs who cut ribs this way are probably doing it in a type
of router set up jig and not typically the type of tables saw jig I'm
currently using although as I said I've done it with this jig  as well.
           Dale Erwin