[OT] Here We Go Again

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:32:45 -0500

At 10:16 PM +0100 12/13/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>What I would like to know, is how this got onto the list. I thought you
>had to be a subscriber now to get a post accepted. ?? Hmmmmm ????

We had examples of that before, skillful programming which can mimic
the address of a list server. Andy Rudoff has laid this on the table
already:

At 1:01 AM -0600 9/26/02, Andy Rudoff wrote:
>How are you determining that the SPAM is coming through
>PTG's system?  I'm subscribed to pianotech and I have not
>seen the SPAM (although I certainly get plenty addressed
>directly to me).  So are you sure you're getting it through
>a PTG list?  I checked the pianotech archives and did not see
>any SPAM messages posted recently.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered the list with this, but I thought the
list would be amused by the creativity of the Nigerians (who knows,
maybe out-of-work Ukrainians). I haven't heard back from the director
of my son's school to hear whether anyone else on their mail list
also received it. I doubt it went through the school's server. Why
would it have to?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Reality is the first casualty of technology
     ...........NPR Commentator Daniel Schorr