Pinblock Wood Expansion

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:37:18 -0500

I made a car rack for my recumbent bicycle. The front forks mount to a bracket that is mounted on a chunk of old upright pinblock. It is the kind of pinblock with the three laminations in front and the 1" of solid maple in back. I thought it would make a very solid base for the bracket - I even put a coat of epoxy on the outside. Well, it does, but I have left it on the car for a couple days now and it has been raining for two days straight. The thinner laminations have expanded out beyond the 1" solid chunk a good 16th or an inch on all sides perpendicular to the grain.

I was amazed when I saw the obvious wood movement. No wonder pianos fall apart when exposed to high humidity (or low). Of course, this was an extreme exposure. If even 1/10 of this movement were to occur in a piano, I would assume glue joints would fail, etc.

IMHO all pianos should be sold with good humidity control instructions (if not equipment). Of course, I am not foolish enough to think that will ever happen.

Terry Farrell