TR: DC "Smart Heater Bar"

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:59:39 +0100

Don, thanks for answering,

The problem I have seen seems to be the same as Terry Farell a few
posts ago, let me explain.

A customer of mine live in a humid place (day in day out 75% to 85%
RH) His grand Bechstein suffered much of the situation, to the point,
after calling 2 master techs that where unable to notice that the
keyframe have warped too much, call me to fix the piano.
I suggested a  system DC with 3 rods, as we where in a hurry and I
only had a complete system (humidifier & dehumidifier), I ordered a
partial one (dehumidifier only), and I installed the actual system
without the humidifier . After that I went on holidays, and had no
answer from the DC dealer here, about the possibility to have a
dehumidifier only.

Indeed that seem to be the same situation with anyone that know that
the moisture will never be higher than 45%, as then it is probable
that one will not even put water in the tank (and may be that is what
Terry's done, from what I understand).
Then the 3 lights are on all the time (power, pads and the water light
blinking).

I checked the system once after installation, and he worked fine to
give a 42% (45%) environment under the piano.
When I came 3 months after, the HR in and around the board was 60%. I
c checked the humidistat, it worked, but I was obliged to give more
than 62% HR to have the rods warm.
After scratching my head a bit, I touch with my hand the controller,
and noticed it was warm at the right side, near the output of the 3
wires for the lights. So I believe that this warmness is enough to
maintain a cool 45% RH near the humidistat, and then it does not react
until HR is really high.

Then I post that to ask other if they ever checked the warmness of the
controller, particularly when the lights have been on for some time.
If someone had a tester with a probe , that can be easy for him to
test the HR just near the controler opening.

At this time you are the only one that noticed , but I suggest it is
possibly the reason for Terry's problem (yes I can mail to him
directly, I will Terry...)

Thanks for any idea, first I want to find a controller to be used for
dehumidification only (is that kind available ?)
If not I may consider cutting the wires of the lights but the "power"
one.

That is not to say that DC system are not efficient, but if there is
some problem there it may be fixed, and having a stable 60%RGH is
better than nothing, but I expect a little less for sure.

With best Regards, and so on.

Friendly wishes

Isaac OLEG

Francia

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the
Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/