self-tuning piano?

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:00:50 -0500

Hi all,

> > Sounds like this guy is "infultrating" the PTG in order to gain as
> > much "inside" knowledge as posiible to help him PUT US OUT OF
> > BUSINESS! I know that isn't likely, at least not in the near future,
> > but that's the plan, right; to make us OBSOLETE.

But don't forget...

Doesn't a higher-tensioned string produce better sound?  If his auto-tuning
mechanism slackens the tuning from its normal rest state (realistically by a
half step or so???), then won't the piano's tone suffer?  If so, this
invention will impact the lower-end market more than the upper-end market
(where people will still want the better-sounding, conventionally strung
pianos).  Are these not the same people who go obscenely long intervals
between tunings anyway?

Tuning pins do slip, and if even a couple of pins slip enough, there are
sure to be a couple of very sour notes.  You'll get a telephone call at that
point.

When repeatedly heated and cooled, the strings will become overly hardened
and brittle.  Surely there are extra service calls ahead.

Hundreds of heated strings will be like a Dampp Chaser gone nuclear.  What
will that do the sounding board?  What will that do to the glue joints?
Will people want a piano that tunes itself but self-destructs in the
process?

Anyone buying an auto-tuning piano would be looking at the bottom line in
terms of cost.  He/she will be smart enough to think in the long-term with
regard to cost up front saving on cost later, and he/she will be less
interested in the overall quality of the piano.  Service calls will be few,
even if the piano *needs* service (e.g. regulation, voicing).  (If I paid an
extra $1000 for some feature that would spare me some other cost, I would be
very reluctant to swallow that other cost anyway.  I'd feel like a sucker.)
Now ten years later, someone is interested in buying a piano and compares a
meticulously maintained conventional piano with his/her friend's
"self-maintaining" piano that has never been professionally serviced.  Which
piano do you think that pianist will want to buy for him/herself?

Autotuning is a very cool idea, particularly if it can be used to maintain
the perfect custom tuning, but I'm not satisfied the bugs are worked out,
and as a consumer/pianist, I don't think I'd touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Peace,
Sarah