self-tuning piano?

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:30:40 -0600

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 09:00  PM, pianolover 88 wrote:

> Sounds like this guy is "infultrating" the PTG in order to gain as
> much "inside" knowledge as posiible to help him PUT US OUT OF
> BUSINESS! I know that isn't likely, at least not in the near future,
> but that's the plan, right; to make us OBSOLETE.
>
> Terry Peterson

Oh, I suppose you can imagine it that way. But then digitals didn't put
us out of business yet.

Imagine this: you go out to a piano, and put your best tuning on it,
with temperament and stretch preferences designed to suit the
particular customer.

Then after you are done, you push a button to store the custom tuning
in the memory of the self-tuning piano.

A week later when other pianos you tuned that day are just losing their
newly-tuned shine, your customer pushes a button and restores the
pristine tuning you put on a week ago.

If a self-tuning piano works, it could/would be used to maintain
tunings between the tech's service calls. Imagine a piano that could
still be just as in tune a month after a tuning as it was immediately
after a tuning. This would not be a bad thing.

If it works.

Kent S