Flag-poling: a way of life, or...?

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:11:45 -0500

Jon Rhee <jrhee@fai-arch.com> wrote:
 > Your right,  Randy does caution against poor practice of manipulating
 > the pin "playing the slot machine" or randomly yanking downwards on
 > it. It's possible that I have a more updated version of the course but
 > in the tuning video George Defebaugh demonstrates proper manipulation
 > of the pin.

When Randy cautions against "playing the slot machine", he refers to
really pulling the pin hard either up or down. He and George talk about
that on the tape (I think my tape is from 2000). But Randy does say that
in your last movement of the pin to bring the string down to tune, you
can think of moving the pin about 10 degrees down (on a vertical). This
"tweaking" is OK, but really pulling on it is not. In my course it's on
page 20 of Chapter 1.2. I know it's on the tuning video, and I think
it's on the Intro to Piano Service video as well.

Charles