Grand Regulation Compromises

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:08:24 +0000

At 5:49 PM +1100 11/29/01, Overs Pianos wrote:

>I'd also support those who have reservations about bench regulating.
>At best, it will get you within the ballpark. This is fine if its an
>action rebuild, where the first reg is basically to get the thing
>playing. But for the final result, 'in the piano' is the way to
>travel.

There are benches and benches and I would never level the keys on the
bench, but neither would I regulate set-off and drop in the piano but
always with a rail, working section by section, after setting
patterns in the piano.  To work any other way is not only very tiring
and fiddly but also less accurate and more time-consuming.  How does
anyone get a really accurate set-off and drop by working in the piano?

I regard the key-dip block as a pretty useless and inaccurate piece of kit too.

JD