sanderson Bass strings/scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:58:13 +0000

At 9:54 AM -0500 11/29/01, Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:

>     Having too much tension in a bass scale will choke the sustain
>in any piano. Having too much tension in the bass or  treble cannot
>only change the tone color but choke it as well.

That is quite so, and that is the reason that I regularly lighten and
totally redesign the bass scales of certin makers, such as Grotiran
and Schiedmayer, whose bass scales were ridiculously tight.  Such
scales, for all their tension, produce a very muffled tone and the
drastic lightening of the scale not only frees up the soundboard but
allows the strings to develop a rich sound.  So much for rescaling
the bass.

>   When I spoke at length with his shop foreman he said that the wire
>size on noter 88 had gone from a no.13 to a 14 size wire. That's a
>huge jump in tension. The 2 top trebles apparently received this
>same whole size increase and was the most choked in both pianos.
>   I explained to them , as Del and Rons have stated many times, that
>a rib scale is designed for a particular string scale. Yes, it is
>possible to make string scale changes on an existing board. Many of
>us have done it but, if the tension changes are too great the tone
>and sustain will be altered in a negative way ,ask me how I know.
> Scaling is a wonderful tool  but some times it's better not to mess
>with success and the stwy O doesn't , I.M.H.O.,need drastic changes
>in the stringing  scale.

Customers often ask me to look at the plain wire scale and "rescale"
it.  I always have a look to see if any minor changes are desirable
but the fact is that it is not possible to "rescale" the plain wire
scale without fitting a new bridge, since it is the bridge and not
primarily the wire gauges that define the scale.  On certain pianos,
whose bridge is acceptable but which have been overloaded, it is
possible to achieve a marked improvement in tone by a general
lightening of the gauges, and this I have occasionally been able to
do, but it is unusual.

As to the "rib scale", by which in effect I presume you mean the
flexibility of the soundboard, well and good, but you imply that such
makers as fitted a bridge and strung it with the effect of killing
the sound of the piano nevertheless had the capability of designing a
perfect soundboard to match their poor design.  In practice this is
not always the case.  On the other hand the lightening of the
stringing on baby grands and such, which are designed stiff
throughout, has very bad effects, depriving the 'piano' of all power.
It is not possible to generalize, since the fitting of a stiffer bass
scale to a 5' Blüthner will be as disastrous as fitting a light set
to an Aeolian.  One must know the piano and have a lot of experience
to know what will work in a certain case.

>    In stwys capstan lines float because the block placement does and
>so does the  bridge placement. If the length of note 88 is measured
>on several different models say 6 different "Os" the string length
>often be quite short and vary by as much as 1/4".(This is also true
>of other stwy models) These less than 2" speaking lengths reduce
>tension and therefore volume especially in the top octaves.

Both the O's I have in for rebuilding at the moment have C88 = 50.5
mm == 2" exactly, and what they do in New York goodness knows but I
would be surprised to find a variation of even a millimetre in a
Hamburg Steinway let alone 6 mm.  When we were arguing about the
Model B a while ago, a concensus seemed to be reached that 54 mm was
a good length for C88 and the reason the B is consistently
troublesome and dope-worthy in the extreme treble is that C88 is only
48 mm or whatever.  You would be suggesting that I might come across
a B with 54 mm rather than 48, which I find unlikely.

>  I have been routinely rotating the top of the bridge back when
>installing a new board to accommodate a speaking length of 2". This
>small change makes a modest increase in tension using the original
>scale and improves power and projection in the top octave or so.

Most people would say you could go further.

>     Anyway a cut to the chase. The client restrung both "o"s with
>mapes Bass strings and original scales. The sustain , power and
>sonority  returned . From what I understand the client had a
> discussion with ---- who was Quote rude and unprofessional. He did
>however agree to refund his money for strings. But wow the loss of
>time and labor cost. My client said that this was obviously Not the
>first time that ---- has received these complaints

To change the wire gauges on a Steinway is deliberately to change the
character of the tone -- and inevitably for the worse.  The long
bridge on Steinways is correctly shaped and positioned for the
Steinway sound, which comes from a relatively short, low-tension
scaling.  In my opinion, it's the height of presumption to alter
this.  Most of us know the design faults of the various Steinway
models and noone would claim they're perfect, but if they'd wanted
their pianos to sound like Broadwoods, they had sufficient skill at
hand to succeed.  Steinways are designed to sound a certain way and
to change the plain wire scale is plain stupid.

JD