replacing upright liftrod hanger

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:14:37 -0500

Avery Todd wrote:

> Why do the hooks need replacing? Is one or more broken?

One is broken.  I have no idea why they break.

Is the pad between the two pieces missing/worn out?

No.

> Could you make the bass
> dampers lift sooner by replacing the pad between them and then
> regulating the damper lift by bending some wires?

Not in this case.

> Has it been too long for me to be responding to a question like this?
> Am I missing something? Entirely possible. It's gotten entirely too
> close to freezing today for a location like Houston! :-)

The first time I came across a broken liftrod hanger I sent it off somewhere
to have it fixed.  That was before I knew I could fix such stuff myself.
When it came back I looked at it and thought, "I could do better than that
myself."  It didn't look professional at all.

And I have managed to get a couple done, but I was never happy with the
result, and the way I went about it, it was too much trouble.  I am glad for
the responses I've received.  As the song from "Sound of Music" says,
sometimes "I need someone older and wiser, telling me what to do."  Well,
they don't have to be older, I'm almost 55 myself, but I haven't been a
fulltime piano technician for very long.

Regards,
Clyde