NYTimes.com Article: Where Old Pianos Go to Live

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:47:59 0000

I have been to visit the Frederics and their 'museum'.  They
received me graciously and spent a good part of a day with
me talking about the pianos, allowing me to play the ones
I wanted, and playing and demonstrating things to me with
music that would have been contemporary to the individual
piano.  It's hard to think of it as a museum (I think
they refer to it as a collection) since the
instruments get used.  They get played on by visitors, used
for recitals and concerts, and used for recordings (I have
a couple of CDs using instruments from their collection).
I found it very illuminating.  It gives you a new perspective
on piano touch and tone.  There's not a Steinway D in the
place and you see that there were many skilled makers who
had different thoughts about the way a piano should sound
and play, many of which were quite viable and quite
beautiful.  I would certainly encourage anyone living in
or visiting the New York or Boston areas to contact them
and visit the collection.

Phil
---
Phillip Ford