a Bechstein from DC

William J Schlipf wjstuner@juno.com
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:20:04 -0600

Dear List,  I went on a move tonight to help deliver a Beckstein (think
it's a B, SN 105xxx) purchased in Washington DC from a store (Boyd's?).
It has been refinished, restrung, chrome tuning pins used, if the hammers
are new, they have the strangest shape in the high treble.  I haven't
pulled the stack yet to inspect thoroughly, but I felt and heard a need
for some regulation and/or voicing as well as a good tuning.  The people
are very nice and said I could bring or send anyone out to see it for a
while.  I have to say it's one of the biggest sounding pianos for it's
size, now understand this is my first Beckstein in 30 years of business.
Here in central Illinois these are far and few between.
My questions for the list are: who would put chrome pins in this and are
there any things specifically to look out for when servicing?  Thanks for
the responses in advance!
Bill Schlipf
Bloomington, IL

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!