Compression waves

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:34:34 +0000

At 12:12 PM -0800 11/20/01, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
>  > The compression wave was produced by
>>  pulling along the bare steel a piece of doeskin covered in powdered
>>  resin.
>
>Just one more thought...piano strings are struck, not stroked.

Hey!

>Since they do respond differently when they are bowed perhaps they
>also respond
>differently when they are stroked.

Bowing will produce a transverse wave unless you drag the bow
lengthwise along the string, which would be a pretty uncomfortable
way about it.  Hammering the end of the string would produce a
compression wave so slight as to get lost a few hundred molecules
along the wire.  The only way to produce an audible and recordable
pressure wave along the wire is to pull the molecules at the surface
along the wire so that they produce a domino effect as they crash
pack against their neighbours and they all totter in turn.   This can
be done with a grease-free finger wetted with water or spirit pulled
along the wire but a leather covered with resin allows molecules all
round the wire to be displaced and a regular pull will produce a good
clear measurable note good enough to pitch by ear or register on an
electronic sensor.

How these lengthwise waves actually come to exist to any noticeable
extent in a string that is struck at a right angle, and how they
affect and are affected by the transverse waves so produced is dealt
with, as I mentioned, in Ellis' patent.  The process is roughly as I
had pictured it in my ignorance, but he describes it in the light of
much experimentation with proper equipment.

I find the topic very interesting and had never given it any thought
until I read Steinway's patent, which Clark was good enough to post
to the list.  Though I had mentioned longitudinal vibrations in the
oil drum duplex debate, I admit I was flying a kite, as I sometimes
do, and under torture would have confessed.

Conklin and Ellis give substance to these waves and provide very
useful food for thought about the perfecting of the tone in the bass
and the low tenor.  After that we get into an area where the
frequency of the compression waves and their overtones makes them
inaudible and then we get into Steinway duplex territory, which seems
to me a completely different basket of prunes.  When Steinway talks
of longitudinal waves, in strings less than a foot in total length,
what of any significance can he be talking of?  I think there may be
something in it, but what?  As Ron N. has said, he's unfortunately
not around to be questioned.

JD