Reverse crown was agraffe bridges

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:25:30 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: November 19, 2001 9:53 AM
  Subject: Re: Reverse crown was agraffe bridges

  Delwin D Fandrich wrote:=20
     =20
    All pianos have both front and rear duplexes. The question is how =
long they are, what the string deflection angle is (at the front), and =
whether or not they are tuned.

    Del

  Isnt this a rather.... wide definition of a duplex Del ? I mean when =
the get to the point of being 3-5 mm long and muted at that it seems a =
bit of a stretch to call the thing a duplex.... or what ?=20

  --=20

  What would you prefer to call it? Duplex simply means 'consisting of =
two parts.' Beyond that we really have to get more specific. If we are =
going to go to the trouble of tuning the duplex surely it's not too =
difficult to say so. And we have a perfectly good word we can use: =
aliquot, meaning, "to divide something exactly." Or we can say the =
duplex is "an aliquot part" of the speaking length meaning the duplex is =
divided into some fractional part of the speaking length.=20

  Del