Helmholtz and Steinway

Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:22:18 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >I dont see that Conklins statement says anything about whether or not the
> >waves are impeded in any sense by termination points, but he does say
> >directly that their frequencies are goverened by the speaking lengths.
> >Seems interesting to me that the speaking length then could possibly be
> >determinant in its effect on the strings longitudinal frequency, while
> >haveing no effect (or almost none perhaps) on the movement of these waves
> >beyond the borders of the speaking length.
>
> I'd put it considerably more in the category of unlikely than interesting.

Well I am not so sure myself. In anycase here is a demonstration going along
very similiar lines that would show quite clearly that longitudinal wave
propogation is unnhibited by clamps along the length of the medium

In this case is is a steel rod which is clamped in the middle with a disc at
the "sounding end" that fits perfectly into a glass tube. When the rod is
excited in the longitudinal mode, the disk also is excited and the air inside
the tube is set into the same longitudinal mode, this air is then pushed over
a bit of sand which gets blown into a pattern which is the exact longitudinal
wave pattern from the excited rod. The Rod is excited on the one side of the
clamp, and the longitudinal waves go right through to the disc side.

Check out both links. More food for thought....
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/class/phscilab/kundtapp.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/class/phscilab/kundt.html#c1

> >I poked around the nett last nite looking for something directly relative
> >to this but couldnt find much.
> >--
> >Richard Brekne
>
> No kidding?