key leveling weights and crown

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:17:45 -0500

I remember an alternative system to using clip-on weights on the backchecks
for leveling keys on a grand.  It used a bar loaded with lots of fender
washers.  Unfortunately I don't have time this week to look up in the
Journal how this was made, but it worked very well.

I still think the  easiest way to level keys is to cut a small peice out of
the paper balance rail punchings and use tweezers to insert them under the
felts while the action (intact without the top stack removed) sits at a
60-degree angle on your lap or the keybed.  That way you are using the
weight of the keys that come with the action for leveling.  Put  chalk marks
on the keyframe indicating which thickness of punching to use - usually one
about the thickness of half the distance the keyfront must be raised.  With
a little practice, I think this system is the fastest and most accurate.
You also don't have to guess about the crown.

Carol Beigel