Tuning Duplex

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:22:59 EST

To Greg Newell
Dear Greg,

Of late there has been a dramatic increase in interest in tuning duplex
scales, both front and rear. As an individual who as espoused the tuning of
duplexes for some years and has devoted a great deal of time to research and
teaching of this procedure I am delighted to hear of another colleague
interested in the subject.

I must be clear that I am not "the " authority, although I may be be guilty
of being the most avid enthusiast. "The" authority, as far as I'm concerned
was Steinway who invented the feature. If you haven't read his patent, I
suggest you do, and if you like I will be glad to mail you a copy, gratis.

Getting on to your inquiry. You raise a few points and make some comments all
of which I may not be able to thoroughly satisfy you with, but I'll try to
get a leg up on the subject.

First of all about bearing. Yes, moving the secondary bridge, also called the
oliquot, push plate, or as I like to call it, the harmonic bridge, would
theoretically affect the bearing. However the amount of movent of this duplex
harmonic bridge is so negligible in the tuning process, the duplex generally
moving less than a quarter of an inch either way, that I suspect the effect
of alteration of the bearing would be negligible. At least in 15 years of
practice I have never worried about it and have an almost 1000 batting
average on improvement of the tone and sustain by tuning the rear duplex. ( I
can't discuss front duplexes because I have nothing worth offering in the way
of support.)

Point 2, duplexes "in tune" and sounding simultaneously.

There are two theories about what happens to the duplex when the speaking
length is activated. One theory is that the duplex sounds and depending on
the note either helps or hurts the quality of the speaking length. The other
theory, which I subscribe to, is that the length of the duplex scale portion
of the string is the key factor

According to Steinway's original patent when the duplex portion of the string
is an "oliquot" portion of the speaking length, meaning a low fraction such
as a half a quarter, a third, that the vibrations of the speaking length
proceding across the sounding board bridge and returning  are copacetic with
the vibrations of the speaking length. Steinway speaks of longitudinal
vibrations of the string being the important element. I believe he means when
the transverse vibrations of the speaking length agree in a fundamental way
with the longitudinal vibrations promoted in the duplex scale that the
sustain and quality of the entire tone of the string is improved.

My motto is: If it can be tuned , it should be tuned.

 I think that's the purpose of the duplex scale.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

Dan Franklin, RPT