Knuckle Size (was Re: All in a row)

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:58:38 -0800

Bill:

I appreciate the time you took to respond.  Letting the hammer set dictate
the SW curve makes complete sense now that I think about it.  Steinway
hammers, for example, are generally heavy at the upper end and forcing them
to conform to a predetermined curve, as suggested by Stanwood's published
zones, can require some razor blade and table saw gymnastics that may, in
fact, be unnecessary.

I have not been using a smart chart, rather I have been setting the curve
using my own calculations based on a manipulation of Stanwood's formulas and
guided by his FW maximums, but you have given me some ideas.  I can see that
if you start with a curve dictated by the particular hammer set, then you
would have to alter the front weight curve to maintain even SWR's while
keeping the FW's below his published maximums.  But that is not hard to do
by simply running calculations on some samples and determining where the
FW's should start at the low end of the scale for a given BW.  In the case
of a Steinway hammer, as mentioned above, that would mean FW's at the low
end of the scale would start below maximums and rise nearer to maximums as
you went up the scale.  If you were determined not to exceed them at any
point then you would only need to plot the 2 curves altering the SWR's
around the "sweet spot" via a mix and match of KR and knuckle radius to see
where to begin.  If, as you said, you needed to push the BW too high, or the
SWR too low then you could consider adding assist springs or, I suppose,
lowering the SW.

I have had a tendency to think of the curve represented by the FW maximums
as the ideal curve.  I am beginning to think that as long as the slope
remains within a range, as long as there are no irregularities, and as long
as the inertia transitions smoothly from bottom to top, that the piano will
feel fine.

A discussion of the problems of understanding the relationship between
weight and distance based leverage and which includes an analysis of
vertical and horizontal vectors is something I would like to hear.
Hopefully, that will happen on another day.

Thanks again.

David Love