Duplex

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:29:43 +0000

--============_-1206809802==_ma============
At 5:02 PM -0600 11/8/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>The transverse excursion of the plucked segment, minute though it
>may be, levers against the terminating pivot and, because of the
>stiffness of the wire, levers the segment on the other side of the
>lever (the speaking length) into transverse movement as well. The
>now oscillating speaking length will naturally sound at's own
>vibrational frequency.

Well, Ron, this presumes a pretty sharp "terminating pivot" which is
neither desirable nor even attainable by makers who might think it
desirable.

The length of wire in contact with the bridge at B is very rarely
short enough to qualify as a "pivot" and, whatever the length is, it
is pressed firmly against the bridge with a pressure of say 30 lbs.
and quite unable to perform any serious dancing.  The greater the
angle, the greater this pressure and the more the friction -- and
there is no disadvantage if the area of contact is longer since the
friction will be the same.

I'd need to do some experiments before I could utterly refute your
theory, but it seems most unlikely.

JD

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...