YC Strike Weights etc

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:30:09 +0000

At 10:22 PM +0100 11/5/01, Richard Brekne wrote:

>The actuall problem is that the leverage is already
>different on the white and black keys. Probably due to a
>frig up in figureing placement of the Balance rail pins. So
>I already have some of these problems. I am not convinced
>that moving to a staggered capstan position is the right
>thing to do....

Dr. Walter Pfeiffer makes a pretty good case for having all the
balance pins in one row.  You could probably save yourself a good
deal of unnecessary heartache and labour by reading him on this
subject.

>Certainly one objective should be to get as uniform a
>whippen travel as is possible for the same amount of key
>travel.

Nothing is much less certain, unless you assume that the player's
fingers always attack the keys at the frontmost point.  Play the
chord of A flat and ask yourself the question.

JD