Oops?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:35:33 EST

In a message dated 11/5/01 6:16:31 PM Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net (David Love) writes:

> Also, so that those who are not familiar with your style of tuning are not
> mislead, the standard pitch raise function should get the treble sharp
> enough if you measure/reset frequently on the way up and if you are using
> standard stretching.  I recall that you mentioned that in your tempered
> octaves tuning you are +75 cents by the time you get to C8.  Those tuning
> with normal stretch are more likely to reach only +40.  For your system
> that would require additional stretch going up.  For others, they would end
> up considerably sharp of the target and have to do a lowering before a fine

Yes, but bear in mind that most of the time I use a more conventional amount
of stretch.  The triple octave/double octave and fifth comparison is only for
when I wan the absolute maximum and justifiable amount.

Once I get into the last part of the 7th octave, all bets are off.  But let's
take a piano that is 1/2 step flat in the midrange.  That's 100%.  Very
often, such a piano is not evenly low in pitch.  The high treble may easily
be 150% flat.  Now add 30 cents for the high treble for the usual amount of
stretch.  We're up to 180% now, which theoretically would take +60 cents
overpull.  Yipes!

Maybe on a new or newly strung piano but even then, I'd prefer to work my way
up.  The danger of breaking a string or splitting the bridge on the poor old
Betsy Ross is simply too great.  Add to that the kind of test blows needed to
settle such a change and you'd be bustin' those elbows or breaking the keys
themselves at the balance rail.

It all adds up to a claim that I would really like to see substantiated:  a
100% pitch raise in 2 passes that comes out "dead on".  I'm not from Missouri
but *show me* anyway.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin