Ozone machine

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:55:11 -0800 (PST)

Placing a piano in an Ozone rich environment will
do wonders for smoke smell.  I have sent several
to a place that has an Ozone chamber set up,
mostly for furniture (fire restoration company).

One thing I have been cautioned about is that
Ozone is very corrosive to metal and, in the
cases I've worked on, have done a major
refurbishing of the piano at that time including
pulling the plate, restringing and usually more.

Perhaps a lower exposure or a smaller time frame
lessens the corrosive effect of Ozone.

Also, something to bear in mind about 'smoke
damage' is that the effects of the smoke
sometimes can take many months to become obvious.

Unfortunately, I don't know of an accurate way to
quantify smoke damage.  I normally estimate
planning on the worst case scenario.  It's kinda
like water damage.  How bad is bad?  (And then
insurance brings up a whole new can of worms...
Oh, how things get complicated!...)

Just my $0.02

Take care,

Brian T.