Off topic-Rhapsody in Blue

MK markmilo@znet.com
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 06:52:50 -0800

Hi all -- just thought I'd delurk in response to this.

Some Public Radio stations run a show called "The Record Shelf" hosted by
Jim Sjveda (hope I spelled it right), a classical DJ from KUSC here in Los
Angeles.  Yesterday's show (11/4/01) featured the life and recordings of
Oscar Levant.  It included a dynamite recording of Rhapsody in Blue, done
with Ormandy and the Philadelphia -- fabulous stuff.  Sjveda said that
Levant was Gershwin's favorite interpreter of his own piano works.  You
might want to give it a listen; it's really impressive.  Also, Sjveda played
Levant's gorgeous recording of the 3 Preludes.  Breathtaking.

Also, there's a CD out called "Gershwin Plays Gershwin" that includes a
truncated version of Rhapsody in Blue (among other works) with the Paul
Whiteman band.  Worth hearing just for the sassy clarinet that starts it
off -- the whole orchestra has a real attitude that you just don't find on
santized classical recordings.  The thing that I notice most about
Gershwin's technique is a driving, rhythmic left hand that just won't quit.
Exactly what you'd expect of a guy who made his bones on Tin Pan Alley while
still a kid.

Good luck -- and I envy anybody who's got the technique to attempt the
Rhapsody!

Mickey Kessler