Duplex

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:21:08 -0600

>As usual, nothing is black and white, and you both raised sensible
>doubts about tuned rear duplexes, of which I also am aware. I admit
>that it is a lot of trouble to go to, for what may appear to some to
>be questionable performance gains. I also realise that it is likely
>that pianos with tuned rear duplexes may be tuned by technicians with
>little or no understanding of how to deal with them.

Hi Ron,
I understand what you're saying about the initial positioning of the
duplex, but how can these segments possibly stay in relative tune with one
another with any sort of humidity swings in actual use?

>Nevertheless Ron N, I have to tell you that when we
>compare two pianos, one with and one without tuned rear duplexes, the
>difference is immediately obvious. I really appreciate the lack of
>low-chorus effect on the tuned back scale piano.

So why not an intentionally de-tuned rear duplex, like is done with the
front? Surely the tolerances qualifying a duplex to be out of tune are
wider than those for tuned, with a similar lack of extraneous noise.

Ron N