Duplex

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:22:44 -0800

> Check to see if the original pin holes are straight or angled. If they are
> straight it's easiest to simply drive out the old ones and redrill for the
> appropriate size vertical hitch.

Of course, I assumed the holes were straight and of course they are angled.
(expletive deleted)

Yesterday I went to a store that had a couple of Baldwins with vertical
hitch pins.  I used my rubber yardstick and were surprised to find the pins
were .224 dia. and protruded .465 above the plate.  The strings were about
half way up.   Ron N suggested 5 mm roll pins.  I wasn't having much luck
finding them locally, but Mcmaster-Carr had them.  I ordered them on line
and should have them by Tues.  I'll try drilling the angled holes to 5mm and
if there doesn't seem to be enough bearing surface, I'll redrill to 7/32
(still less than .224) and go to the larger pin.

The plate was strikingly similar to the Emerson I'm working on.  I was
pleased to see the location of the hitch pins for notes just above the bass
break were located  almost exactly where I had planned to put them.  Now the
tail length will be about 130mm instead of 30mm.

Now that I've actually measured it, the tail length bridge to the aliquots
of the first 10 notes are all equal to the speaking length.  That surprised
me too.

> > Anyway, that's what is pushing me to do it.  The idea that I may not be
> > doing this for the customer but for ME eludes them.
>
> Welcome to the club.

Thank you Del.   I regret not getting into pianos and especially rebuilding
when I was younger.  You and many others sharing so much has meant the
difference between satisfaction and utter frustration.

> Del

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@home.com  >