Duplex

Sat, 3 Nov 2001 22:24:14 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Meyer" <cmpiano@home.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 01, 2001 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: Duplex

> Ron, I'm still waffling.  I might just go ahead with the vertical roll
pins
> after all.  How do you get the old hitch pins out that you want to move?
> tried to pull one and ended up breaking it off.   Would cutting them off,
> grinding, filling and painting work okay?  I'll just drill out the ones
that
> will be replaced with roll pins.

Check to see if the original pin holes are straight or angled. If they are
straight it's easiest to simply drive out the old ones and redrill for the
appropriate size vertical hitch.

> Also I'd like to know if there is any tail length that would be too long
and
> cause any problems.  Is there a technical limit?  Of course there is a
> practical limit.  Could a long tail take on a life of it's own and cause a
> problem?  And then need to be muted off?

I've not found any technical limit to the backscale length. You won't get
any improvement by making them any longer than the speaking length, however.
I have a mathmatical sequence I follow if I'm laying out a new scale, but
I'm not sure it's all that important. Yes, the backscale can be muted off if
need be.

> Anyway, that's what is pushing me to do it.  The idea that I may not be
> doing this for the customer but for ME eludes them.

Welcome to the club.

Del