Petzl Zipka

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 19:22:15 -0600

I've always carried flashlights in my tool case. The improvements in
flashlights during the 2+ decades I've been working on pianos has made life
better for us piano techs.

I had been using the Petzl Tikka LED headlamp ever since I heard about it
here on pianotech. It is a 3 LED headlamp on a headband that works 150 hours
on 3 AAA batteries. It's great for lighting wherever you look, like to work
the mutes behind the hammers of a vertical's high treble.

When I was in Colorado last summer I was in a backpacking outfitter store
and found a new version of the same lamp called the Petzl Zipka. This is a 3
LED headlamp on a fully retracting, self-storing elastic band. The advantage
of the Zipka over the Tikka is that it stores much more neatly and compactly
and quickly in the tool case.

Highly, highly recommended.

Here are 2 links:

http://www.petzl.com/FRENG/frheadlamps/zipka.html