Temperament Arguments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:51:02 EST

Greetings,
David writes:
<< But to try and argue the superiority of WT over ET and that WT has

more color and therefore is more interesting, musical, dynamic,

multi-dimensional, etc., is a meaningless waste of time.>>

   We are now back to the question of "meaning".  There is an omission in
the above, and that  is "to me".  It is a meaningless waste of time to *you*
because there is no message that is being received by *you*.
   It is a fact that a WT is more complex than ET, there are a greater number
of harmonic values in an unequal temperament,(some of them have 6 different
sizes of thirds!).  The added complexity certainly creates a more complex
harmonic arrangement of the sonata.  This is physical fact.  If the more
complex sonic result has no meaning for you, that is a personal viewpoint,
not a universal value.
   I also wonder, if it is a meaningless waste of time, why have you even
bothered to respond to the thread?  If it is truly meaningless, you certainly
won't waste the time to respond to this.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT