Upright Hammer Selection

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:36:46 -0400

Does anyone have new hammer recommendations (what's your favorite flavor?)
for turn-of-the-century 54" Steinway & Mason & Hamlin? I am also concerned
about hammer weight. I understand its effect on tone and touchweight on the
grand, but on the vertical it would seem that hammer weight would affect
tone in a similar way, but touchweight would be different - I should think
it would have a greater effect on inertia and less an effect on down and up
weights. How does all this shake out? Thanks again for input.

Terry Farrell