bore distance: was Re: hammer replacement

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:27:15 -0400

Hi David,

The shank should be slightly below horizontal when the hammer is resting on
the string.  By measuring string height and center pin height, subtract the
shorter from the longer and you have the bore distance when the hammer is
against the string, optimum, then at about 1/32 inch for future filing.
When filing initially the hammer will expand to maintain original
dimensions.

		Newton