Agraffe lubing??

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:12:30 -0600

Roger:  Which Protek product are you referring to??  I can't really tell
as you said "one drip" - which makes it soul like Protek CLP, but you
might be referring to Protek MPL - their "heavier" lube.
fwiw I have been to a bulk lubricant distributor where I was given a
sample of a lube called Aeroshell #6 - an aviation lube.  This stuff is
used between brass and steel parts (control cables for example) in
aircraft and is guaranteed not to cause any problems between the two
metals.  I am bringing this up as I have a M&H "A" that has agraffes that
are badly worn resulting in poor string rendering.  My idea was the same
as you have posted - placing a TINY bit on the top of the wire segment
that is between the tuning pin and the agraffe - as close as possible to
the agraffe - loosen the wire to allow the wire to carry the lube into
the agraffe, then pull it back up to pitch.  Needless to say, it will
take very little lube to do this - assuming that it works.  My mind tells
me it should work, but I've been known to make more than a few thousand
errors in judgement in my life. :-(

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:07:27 -0500 jolly roger <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
writes:

> Hi Don,
>              One drip of protec applied with a tooth pick on each of
> the
> agraffe holes will solve the rendering hassles. Drop the tension a
> little
> before raising, and it will tune just like any other piano.
> Regards Roger

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.