Fw: Fw: hammer replacement

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:36:09 -0700

 Wiw
   The information I referred to in my previous post of calculating bore =
distance is very common information these days and a method for avoiding =
a major ooops in a rebuilding job.
    After 30 years of doing hammer replacement I have had many bad =
outings as you suggest.  Once I did as you prescribed on a old Kimball =
grand and the original bore was so short the shanks over centered by =
more than a 1/4 of an inch!  Factories make a lot of mistakes and so do =
hammer prepper.  I got weary of crappy and to tight  boring which made =
installation difficult.  I realize some are doing that more accurately =
these days but I'll still bore my own.
  Also for example with Stwys and others but Stwys are what I check most =
often the string heights can vary by 2 or three m.m in the tenor treble =
yet Steinway and others will send you a standard bore hammer of 2 =
1/8"bass bore and 113/ 16".  However the tenor sections can be 2 to 3 mm =
higher in the mid tenor than in the treble and can also be sloped one =
way or another.  The bass as well can have similar problems.  Some older =
Stwy B's and D's had bore lengths of 2&3/8" bass and close  to 2 " tenor =
treble so if standard bore hammeres were used in this application =
regulation,geometry and touchweight problems would be a big deal to your =
client and your reputation.
  The real question is how accurate do you want your regulation to be?  =
If you install hammers that over strike from the git go you've already  =
undermined one of the many reasons for replacing the old worn out =
hammers in the first place which is regulation , geometry and touoch =
weight do to over centering.
   In uprights this is less critical and original bore intentions less =
easy to measure. Usually my rule o f tumb is to observe the bore lengths =
of not 1 and 88.  Note one will always be close to original and note 88 =
can be determined by adding 3mm  above the wood molding.

----- Original Message -----=20