Getting paid...

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

Just had something I thought I'd run by the list...

I've made some mistakes in the past, and I'll admit
that.  Hopefully, some of these experiences will have
taught me valuable lessons.

One that's still a bit of a thorn in my side...

Left PA to move to LA in March.  Had a job (reed organ
rebuild) sitting in my shop waiting to be started.  I
didn't have time to do it before I left, so I called
up the customer and asked if I could bring the organ
with me to LA and return it in May, when I had
scheduled a return to the area.  (Incidentally, I had
two of these things to be returned in the same trip.)
Rebuilt both of the reed organs in LA and returned to
PA with them as scheduled in May.  The first one I
knew there would be a delay of payment because I was
doing the work for another technician who was then
going to do a bit of cabinet work and return it to the
customer, paying me upon completion and return to the
customer, all understood up front.  No problem.  Got
paid just fine.

But the other one...  Delivered it as scheduled.  Sat
down and played a song on it, slowly pulling out all
of the "bells and whistles" all the way up to full
organ.  The thing sounded fantastic and I practically
received a standing ovation from the family and a few
neighbors who came in to hear.  Pulled out the bill
and handed it to them, to which they replied, "We'll
see to it that you get this right away.  We're not
going to pay it, but our daughter who lives upstate
who will be getting the organ..."

Well, I would have liked to simply loaded the thing
back into the truck and driven away, but I couldn't do
that.  It was a rented truck and I was 1000 miles from
home.  So I left it there and asked that they please
not put off making payment as I had a considerable
amount invested.

And you know what's next, you can see it coming.  It's
going on 6 weeks now.  I haven't been able to reach
them by phone.  At 4 weeks, I did send off a letter
reminding them that I haven't received payment and
that I would appreciate them sending it promptly if
they haven't already.

I guess the question is, what's next?  If it was just
a $75 tuning, I could swallow hard and really not miss
it so badly.  But this bill was about $1000.  (Should
have been more, but I stuck to my estimate.)

Any suggestions on collecting?

(This is what I get for 'trusting' a retired pastor.)

Thanks for letting me vent a bit.  This one's been
bugging me.

Take care, all.

Brian

=====