Replacing Bass Strings

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:23:39 -0700

Dear List;

Have been asked to replace all bass strings on the Hamilton/Baldwin 5' =
grand I am working on.  I recall others mentioning that there was no =
need to loosen the other strings when replacing the wound bass strings.  =
The harp seems particularly sturdy in this piano with struts on both =
sides of the section.  I would like to be able to replace the felt under =
the front duplex section which would require having all the strings off =
at the same time.  Would this be safe?  Putting the harp in danger of =
cracking is NOT an option.  What say ye???

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR