EBVT & Kawai Digitals support massive Bernstein score

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:54:33 EDT

Dear List,

I have the pleasure of announcing, now that it is official, something that
may be a first.  Middleton, Wisconsin, a largely residential suburb of
Madison, has a theater company, Middleton Players Theater which produces a
large cast musical theater show each August.

When I heard the selection was Leonard Bernstein's 1947 musical, "On the
Town", I was really interested.  I went to the auditions and was cast in a
leading role!  But that's only part of what I am and will be doing.  I tuned
and prepared the rehearsal piano (a Baldwin Hamilton) in my usual Equal
Beating Victorian Temperament (EBVT).

Although most people would think this 20th Century music, which occurs and
modulates into most of the 24 Major and Minor keys would require Equal
Temperament (ET) to be interpreted on the piano.  But as I believed it would
be, it is actually enhanced and more appropriately executed by a Victorian
style temperament.  The mild shades of "key color" found in the EBVT give
each key that Bernstein chose to write in a distinct mood:  a *reason* to be
in that particular key!

Bernstein's orchestration is incredible.  It calls for a much larger ensemble
than could ever fit in the pit of a moderately sized theater.  Therefore, the
usual group of live musicians must be supplemented and underscored by
electronic keyboards.  This is something that had never interested me until
now.  But I am really eager to be able to make a distinct difference because
these state-of-the-art digital keyboards are temperament and octave
programmable!

No, I do not have to accept ET with no stretch.  I can program each note to
any value I choose.  This means I will be able to give a fresher, more
realistic sound to the instruments the keyboards will represent.  This
includes a grand piano sound, which is a very important part of the score.
There is not going to be room for even a vertical in the pit, so the Kawai
Digital must do the job.

Maestro Andrew Abrams, a native of Middleton and a multi talented musician,
pianist, vocalist, actor, teacher and conductor will return from his present
home in New York City to conduct the orchestra.  Andrew made a brief visit to
the area for the Father's Day weekend and attended the cast's music rehearsal
of the entire show at the end of the first week of rehearsal.

He was visibly thrilled at the enhanced effect the EBVT was able to provide.
Long after the rehearsal was over, Andrew stayed to play on through many of
the difficult but interesting parts of the score.  I could hear the pulse
from the piano all the way out in the parking lot!  At the theater, another
piano will be tuned in EBVT for the cast warm ups prior to the show.

Middleton Players Theater is deeply indebted and grateful for the generosity
of Farley's House of Pianos, Timothy Farley RPT, proprietor, for providing
the two Kawai Digital Keyboards that will be required.  Be sure to see his
and Daniel Eberhardy RPT's presentation in Reno.  It promises to be
fascinating.  For anyone interested in exploring the effects of different
temperaments in an instant, the Kawai digital keyboard can be a very useful
tool.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin