Agraffe tuning easier or not?

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:41:53 +0200

Hi, I was tuning a 30's Bluther yesterday, which was easy to tune. That has
both a half round by the agraffes in the middle section and then in the top
two sections has half rounds and bearing felts (1" width) as there is more
string length between agraffe and tuning pin.

That Bluther was imported all those years ago and soon going back overseas
to UK.

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Page
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: Agraffe tuning easier or not?

The difference in tuning between the agraffe and capo sections I think is
the counter bearing felt
in the tenor section. This felt offers more friction than a metal counter
bearing bar and as such
the capo section is easier to tune.

I've replaced this felt with a half round brass bar on a Baldwin R last year
and tuning is easier in
that section.  Would the piano gods send me spinets for eternity when I
install a brass counter
bearing bar in the tenor section of a S&S L this summer ?  I have a few
pianos I would be happy
to burn in sacrifice to appease them if necessary.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net