Subject: Re: Water damage/Insurance claims

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:25:56 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/01 7:23:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
d_a_noonan@hotmail.com writes:

Don:

Thank you very much for your comprehensive explanation of what "you guys"
look for. Specifically, this is where we as piano techs get into trouble.

> #1) ACTUAL CASH VALUE How much was the piano worth before the damage?

This is sometimes hard to figure out, especially if the piano was in a fire.

> #2) REPAIR COST How much will it cost to repair the damage, to put the piano

The problems with this is, in the process of making the repairs, it is
impossible to put the piano back in the condition it was before. It is
impossible to put a 50 year old finish on piano. It is impossible to replace
the worn out hammers with other worn out hammers. The same goes for tubby
bass strings, rusty pins, worn-out bushings. etc. In other words, the repairs
that need to be made will make the piano in much better condition than it was
before the accident. Does the insurance industry recognize this problem?

Willem