request for info on sostenuto trapwork for Steck 5'

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:15:30 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Ultsch" <multsch@jvlnet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 25, 2001 8:48 PM
Subject: request for info on sostenuto trapwork for Steck 5'

> I'm a newcomer to Pianotech.  Thanks, everyone, for helping to educate me.
>
> I'm in need of getting the design configuration of the sostenuto trapwork
> for a 1934 George
> Steck 5'  that I'm rebuilding.  That entire assembly did not come with the
> piano and I'd like to get drawings of parts (or the parts themselves) to
> reproduce it.  Without additional  information all I have available to use
> in designing something is a confusing abundance of screw holes and the
need
> to avoid interference with the other parts in the area.

Good luck duplicating the original...

If this system was anything like conventional, I'd be surprised. I've done a
couple of Geo. Steck pianos of approximately that vintage--possibly a bit
older--and they have had an interestingly weird sostenuto design. Give it
up, plug all those holes, and fit a conventional system using whatever parts
work. In my case I've used a variety of Renner parts held to the belly rail
with cast aluminum brackets from Baldwin.

-- ddf